To keep up with the competition in this digital age, you must produce an incredible amount of content. You must have interesting, compelling copy throughout your entire website, blog, newsletter, social media, and ads. While you may take on most of the writing at first, as your business grows this will become more and more difficult to do. That is why so many businesses eventually decide to outsource their content writing to a professional content writer.
Perhaps you are considering hiring a content writer, or you have already come to the conclusion that you absolutely need to hire one. Either way, hiring a content writer is not a task to be taken lightly. You want to ensure you hire a qualified, efficient writer who is able to mesh well with your brand voice and target audience. Here is everything you need to know about hiring a content writer to ensure you choose the best writer for your business.
Why Hire a Content Writer
Still on the fence about hiring a content writer? Need to convince management that hiring a content writer is the right move? Here are some critical reasons to hire a content writer:
- Writing is difficult, and a content writer is an expert in the field.
- High-quality writing increases lead generation
- Content writers craft professional content that will enhance the way customers view your brand.
- Outsourcing your content writing saves you time and energy that you can instead spend on other core business functions.
Where to Find a Content Writer
The first step in finding a content writer is looking for one. There are many platforms and strategies you can use to reach writers, and you should implement numerous strategies at once. Check the popular freelance platforms, like Upwork or Freelancer. Post on popular job boards as well, like Craigslist, because many professionals search there for job openings. Consider looking for a writing agency, like Content Cucumber, instead of trying to individually hire a freelancer. Content Cucumber can pair you with a qualified, experienced writer.
Finding the Right Fit
Hiring a content writer may seem as simple as posting your opening, picking a writer, giving the instructions and receiving back great content, but that is not how it always goes. It is actually very important to hire a writer that is suited for your company. You must beware of many different factors when choosing a writer, such as:
- Not all writers are of the same caliber and produce the same quality. There are a lot of writers who are not up to the standard you are looking for. Keep searching until you find the quality you are looking for.
- Writers have different knowledge and skills. Some writers may know more about content marketing and SEO than others. Some writers may have a lot of experience writing about topics in your industry, while others may know nothing about it. The type of experience and knowledge a writer has is key.
- Style and tone matter. Writers also have different styles and tones, which make some a better fit for your brand voice than others.
- The difference in communication and deadlines. Look for a writer who is incredibly organized, good at communicating and strict with meeting their deadlines.
Hiring a Quality Writer
Hiring a writer is a big decision that will take extensive time and effort, but will save you money and time in the long run. Don’t skimp out when it comes to choosing a writer. Here are some of the most important steps to follow when hiring a content writer to ensure you pick a quality writer who is a match.
When looking for a writer, your instructions and expectations should be crystal clear. State exactly what you are (and are not) looking for in your job ad, including all of the responsibilities. Organize the information in a way that is very readable, by using headlines and bullet points, so nothing is missed.
Analyze Past Experience
Ask to review the portfolios and previous work from the writers you are most interested in. Pay attention to their voice, style, and genre. Even a good writer may not be a fit if most of their experience is writing in a drastically different industry.
Review Deadlines and Schedules
Before hiring a writer, you must discuss how deadlines will work and their current schedule. Freelance writers likely have other clients and projects, so they must be good at communication and deadlines. Make sure to clearly indicate the type of commitment and the deadlines you expect.
Test Them Out
The best way to see what a writer can deliver is to test them out. Have them complete some paid test pieces to see if their writing is a fit. Only test the final applicant or two as it does require an investment of time and money. However, the test pieces are the best way to see what a writer really has to offer and determine their fit.
Need Help Finding a Writer?
These tips will certainly help you look for your own individual writer. However, a content agency is another great way to get a content writer. There are many key benefits of choosing a content agency over a freelancer, and the agency will help pair you with the best writer from the job.
Content Cucumber will make sure you receive the content you deserve when we pair you with one of our dedicated writers. We have an extensive team of talented writers and will find the perfect writer for your company to write any form of content you need. Our writers have a vast range of knowledge, tones, and styles, and we can even provide samples from different writers so you can choose the one that best suits you. Hire the best writer for your business today with Content Cucumber by contacting us on our website HERE.