People tend to be pretty unimaginative with product descriptions. The standard outline is a quick bullet-point list that highlights the product’s main specs. And while that’s a good start, it’s not going to boost your site’s SEO power or convert more customers. It’ll just be another unremarkable list in the vast sea of lackluster product descriptions.
Online retailers often fail to recognize the full potential of creating a unique, well-written, and entertaining product summary. With the right tools and a bit of creativity, a simple description can become a powerful marketing strategy that’s sure to stand out from the competition.
Advantages of Updating Your Descriptions
I know what you must be thinking: what about items that are just… boring? What’s the point of dressing up mundane and unremarkable products with stellar descriptions? To put it simply, unique descriptions will resonate with customers and stick in their memory.
An entertaining and well-written post can connect with customers, and it can work wonders on hesitant buyers. Even if your products aren’t super glamorous or exciting, they’ll definitely stand out to online shoppers if each item has a one-of-a-kind summary.
In addition to piquing your customers’ interest in your brand, great product descriptions often lead to a number of other benefits for online sellers, such as:
- Better SEO rankings.
- Increased conversion rates.
- More organic traffic.
- Improved customer loyalty.
- Reduced bounce rates.
Just like with all other forms of marketing, every great product description starts with research. Before you can start formatting stunning new product pages, you’ll have to get to know your target audience. According to ecommerce mastermind Neil Patel, you can relate more to your customer base if you carefully consider the following aspects:
- Education level
- Income level
Once you familiarize yourself with this information, you can use it to connect with your customers. For instance, a fashion retailer that caters to teens could seem more relatable if they use casual, conversational language, whereas a company that sells high-end tech products should probably stick to a more professional tone.
To determine if you have enough information to transform your product description into a marketing powerhouse, you can turn to the old journalism standy of the Five W’s and an H:
- Who? Who is the product for?
- What? What are the main features of the product?
- Where? Where should this item be used (indoors, outdoors, at school, etc.)?
- When? When could someone use the product? Is it designed for everyday use or special events?
- Why? Why should customers consider this product over similar items? Why is it better than the competition?
- How? How does the item work? How should it be properly cleaned/maintained?
How to Create an Awesome Product Description
Now that you have all the right ingredients, you can start to draft your new-and-improved product description! To begin, it can be helpful to think of a product description like the plot synopsis on the back of your favorite novel. Book summaries are designed to immediately capture a reader’s attention, give them fascinating information, and leave them dying to know what happens next. If you take a look at the summary of any best-selling novel, you’ll probably be tempted to pick it up and read it yourself!
Just like authors, marketers have to do more than simply describe the product. They must consider the target audience, common questions, and most importantly, the reasons why customers should purchase the item. If you need some inspiration, here are just a few ways you can add a little more life and intrigue to your product pages:
- Add a FAQ section. If you consistently receive the same questions from customers, a FAQ page will save you and your customers tons of time. Shoppers won’t have to click off the page to search for answers, and you won’t have to respond to the same query for the 589th time.
- Talk about the backstory of the item. How did you come up with the idea for this product? What was the development process like? Is there an unexpected story behind the brand? Talk about it! This will show transparency, which can help customers feel personally connected to your brand.
- Share the story of a satisfied customer. Reach out to your loyal customers and ask if they’d be willing to talk about how your product successfully solved a recurring issue in their lives. Real-life proof is always the most effective marketing strategy, as most shoppers read customer reviews before purchasing items online.
- Compare and contrast. Describe how your product differs from similar items on the market. Is it hand-crafted? Created out of eco-friendly materials? More efficient? Don’t be afraid to brag a little about the quality of the product!
Even with all the right information, it might seem like a major project to start tackling all your outdated product descriptions. So, why not have someone else take on the challenge?
Our professional team of writers and editors can transform all your product pages into effective marketing tools to attract, entertain, and convert more customers. For a flat monthly rate, you can receive high-quality product descriptions, blog posts, articles, and more to make your website stand out. Click here to learn more or get started!