Potato chips have been receiving a lot of love in recent years when it comes to creative flavor combinations. However, they aren’t the only crunchy, salty snack that could use a refresh! Popcorn toppings are a quick, fun way to turn a classic snack into a whole new experience.
Here are our favorite avant-garde popcorn toppings to shake up your usual salt and butter routine:
Sweet Popcorn Toppings
Popcorn and chocolate candy are staples in the movie snack food pyramid. However, combining salty and sweet has never been a better idea:
- Peanut Butter, White Chocolate, and Marshmallow – As an ode to Avalanche cookies, this popcorn flavor can be achieved by mixing in warm peanut butter, melted white chocolate, and mini marshmallows.
- Cinnamon Brown Sugar – Warm cinnamon and sweet brown sugar pair perfectly with popcorn! Try adding a dash of nutmeg and cloves for a holiday-inspired treat.
- Toasted Coconut and Dark Chocolate – Toasted coconut helps to balance out the rich, dark chocolate in this combination. Looking for something a little sweeter? Drizzle some caramel on top for a Samoa cookie-inspired treat.
- Cookies ‘n’ Cream – This iconic combination should be reserved for Saturday night only… but if you end up making it every night, we won’t blame you. Simply crush up Oreo cookies (Double Stuffed is the only way to go) and mix it with melted white chocolate chips to totally satisfy your sweet tooth.
Savory Popcorn Toppings
Craving some salty, savory goodness? Try out these combinations:
- Goat Cheese and Garlic – Toss in bits of crumbled goat cheese with a pinch of garlic powder for popcorn that’s salty, tart, and savory. Ready to kick it up a notch? Try adding in a handful of chopped dill to taste.
- Chili Lime – If you love a little heat, try mixing butter, lime juice, cayenne, cumin, and salt for this popcorn combination. The heat wakes you up so you don’t fall asleep during the movie!
- Buffalo Ranch – Mix a buffalo-inspired seasoning (cayenne, hot sauce, or chili powder) with any ranch popcorn seasoning that you can pick up at the grocery store for a match made in buffalo ranch heaven.
- Everything Bagel – You’ve seen it on avocado toast, you’ve seen it on, uh, bagels, now get ready to see it on popcorn! Mix equal parts sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic powder, and onion powder with a pinch of salt for the trendiest popcorn you’ll ever taste.
Here are some of the craziest popcorn combinations we could find. Let us know if you’ve tried (or enjoyed!) any of these:
- Ketchup Popcorn – Ketchup lovers, you’ve gone too far.
- Truffle Fromage Porcini Popcorn – Unless you’re staring in the new Parasite movie, we’re going to need you to take it down a notch.
- Cheeseburger Popcorn – Just as… delightful as it sounds.
- Pregnancy Popcorn – Yes, it’s a real thing, Yes, it’s made with ice cream and pickles. Yes, we’re panicking.
So, tell us: what’s the weirdest topping you’ve put on popcorn? Are you going to try any of these popcorn toppings?